[Wylug-help] Help with Netscape JavaScript Problem.

Frank Shute Frank Shute <frank at esperance-linux.co.uk>
Mon, 13 Jan 2003 14:53:48 +0000

On Mon, Jan 13, 2003 at 05:05:11AM -0700, Thomas, Nicholas wrote:

(Clock wrong?)

> Hi,
>
> This is probably a Linux Setup issue, not a JavaScript programming issue.
>
> I am trying to use the ASDA online shopping service using Netscape 7.01 Web
> Browser on my RedHat Linux 7.2 system at home, but
> I get a JavaScript problem when trying to go through the virtual checkout.
>
> I cannot send the exact JavaScript error message from the JavaScript Console
> because I am sending this email from work.
> Depressingly the online shopping service at ASDA works OK from my IE 5.0
> Browser at work.

It would be useful if you could post the error message when you get
home.

> So, I guess this is one of the incompatability issues between Netscape and
> IE.

Could be, both Netscape and IE used to have extensions to ECMA
Javascript & I should think they still probably do. But if they
advertise that it works in both then they shouldn't have used any of
the extensions or should have put a wrapper around them.....you would
have thought ;)

> I thought everything would be OK because the ASDA website states that it
> should work with both IE 5.01 and Netscape 7.01 browsers, but they neglected
> to mention which Operating System!

The OS shouldn't make a difference but it's possible for them to lock
you out based on which OS you use.

> So, my question, is the JavaScript part of the Netscape a plugin, and can I
> download a different javascript plugin to get my online shopping experience
> working, or am I stuffed?

With Mozilla (and hence Netscape I should think) the Javascript
interpreter is part of the browser. It could be that the Netscape
interpreter has a bug in it. It might be worth trying some of the
different Linux browsers: Mozilla, Konqueror, Opera and see how you
get on. It's possible you might have to fake the user agent though,
and it's possible that might not work either - it depends how much
their site sucks.

I don't know if you can get a plugin interpreter to override the
built-in one.

If we can't get their site to work with Linux, then it's time to
mailbomb webmaster@asda.co.uk with abuse :)

> Any help appreciated.
>
> Regards
>
> Nick