proxy ARPing - was Re: [Wylug-help] Possible IP subnet conflict

Jim Jackson jj at comp.leeds.ac.uk
Tue, 14 Jan 2003 15:53:58 +0000 (GMT)

On Tue, 14 Jan 2003, John Hodrien wrote:

> On Tue, 14 Jan 2003, Gary Stainburn wrote:
>
> > How do I set up the ARP proxying for 10.1.0.x?
>
> in /etc/sysctl.conf:
>
> net.ipv4.ip_forward = 1
> net.ipv4.conf.eth0.proxy_arp = 1
>
> eth0 is the outside world in my case, and eth1 is my enclosed subnet.  ARP
> proxying has nothing to do with IP, since it's lower level.  It just echos
> arp-requests and the like from one interface to another.  Otherwise when
> someone is looking for a machine behind you firewall thang, noone will reply.
> The request has to be passed to the inside so that they can reply.

whoa there.

The firewall actually answers the ARP requesting giving it's own MAC
address. The original arper, then sends any IP packets for the thing on
the otherside of the firewall direct to the firewall.

It can't just relay the ARP, without acting as a bridge/switch, whcih you
need bridging software for (it exists).

Gary you should be ok.