[Wylug-help] Restoring /boot and MBR

Gary Stainburn gary.stainburn at ringways.co.uk
Wed, 15 Jan 2003 16:38:09 +0000

Hi folks,

I've just boobed big time

Instead of typing

dd if=boot.img of=/dev/fd0 bs=1024

I typed

dd if=boot.img of=/dev/hda bs=1024

Now I recon I've stuffed the MBR including the partition table, and the 1st
1023 blocks of /boot.

While I've still got by PC booted everything's working fine, and I have access
to the system.  However, it's obvious that I can't reboot.

Can anyone suggest a way of restoring the MBR and partition table and how I
can rebuild the /boot partition.

Needless to say, I'm currently making sure my backups are up to date.
--
Gary Stainburn