[Wylug-help] Bridge Filtering

James Holden james at jamesholden.co.uk
Mon, 20 Jan 2003 13:15:14 -0000 (GMT)

Dan,

What spec is the BSD box?

If it's an old pentium machine or lower then find a whacking great
heatsink and ditch the CPU fan.

Turn off logging and such and the hard disk should stay spun down as long
as it's only shovelling packets.

The PSU fan can be quietened down by popping it open and connecting the
fan across the 5 and 12 volt supplied to that it runs off 7 volts (12
minus 5) instead of the full 12 volts. You should still get the cooling
you need but around half the revs.

You could also try some traditional acoustic methods, ie: shove it in a
cupboard, or under a duvet! Just allow for airflow.

Works for me - my router box is in the lounge cos that's where the NTL
cable box is.

James