[Wylug-help] PHP equiv of my or local variable

Gary Stainburn gary.stainburn at ringways.co.uk
Wed, 22 Jan 2003 15:34:58 +0000

Hi folks,

is it possible to have local variables within blocks in php, as you can with
perl?

I want $workdate and $workday in the following code snippet to be local to the
block, and neither reference nor infect global $workdate and $workday - while
still referencing globals $year, $month etc.

In Perl I'd symply put 'my' before each of their definitions

if (!$day) {
  $workdate=sprintf("%04d-%02d-01",$year,$month);
  $workday=return_string("rddate",
         "from roster_days where rddate >= '$workdate' limit 1");
  if (substr($workday,0,7) == substr($workdate,0,7)) {
    $day=substr($workday,8,2);
  } else {
    $day='01';
  }
  if ($year == $tyear && $month == $tmonth) {
    if ($day < $tday) {
      $day=$tday;
    }
  }