[Wylug-help] sound problems after 7.1 to 7.3 upgrade

Gary Stainburn gary.stainburn at ringways.co.uk
Wed, 29 Jan 2003 10:17:36 +0000

Hi folks,

I've got a RH box connected to out telephone switchboard to play  a soundfile
repeatedly creating the music for the music-on-hold.

When I put this box in, it was a fresh install of RH7.1, and everything worked
fine.

However, since upgrading to 7.3+errata I have a problem.  When the box first
boots up, the music plays fine and everything's great.  However, after a
couple of hours, the music deteriorates and gets very distorted and crackly.

If I reboot the PC the music's great for another couple of hours.  This box is
also used as a Postgresql server, network file server and print server and
phone call logger, so rebooting the PC periodically is not really an option.

Anyone got ideas how I can fix this, or at least reset the sound sub-systems
without having to reboot the whole box?

The modules.conf is listed below in case it's usefull. AFAIK I've got the
latest kernel and module RPMs installed. I have tried re-running sndconfig
but it only rewrites the same modules.conf file.

[root@donlin root]# more /etc/modules.conf
alias parport_lowlevel parport_pc
alias eth0 8139too
alias usb-controller usb-uhci
alias sound-slot-0 via82cxxx_audio
post-install sound-slot-0 /bin/aumix-minimal -f /etc/.aumixrc -L >/dev/null
2>&1 || :
pre-remove sound-slot-0 /bin/aumix-minimal -f /etc/.aumixrc -S >/dev/null 2>&1

--
Gary Stainburn