[Wylug-help] exim/vacation problem on RH73

Gary Stainburn gary.stainburn at ringways.co.uk
Thu Jul 17 12:41:09 BST 2003

Hi folks,

I've got my mail server set up as a RH7.3+errata using exim as my MTA.

Everything works great except for the vacation program (none of my users use
mailing lists).

If I set vacation for a user, everything appears to work fine as far as the
EXIM logs are concerned, the message gets to the user's mailbox, and the
originator does not receive any error email.

However, vacation does not actually generate a reply.  Anyone got any ideas
why?

exim.conf extract:

address_pipe:
  driver = pipe
  user = exim
  group = mail
  return_output

/home/myuser/.forward:

\myuser, "|/usr/bin/vacation myuser"

/home/myuser/.vacation.msg:

Subject: away from my mail

I will not be reading my mail for a while.
Your mail concerning "$SUBJECT"
will be read when I'm back.

myuser's home:
[root at stan myuser]# ls -al
total 36
drwxr-xr-x    2 myuser   mail         4096 Jul 17 09:31 .
drwxr-xr-x  291 root     root         8192 Jul 11 10:03 ..
-rw-------    1 myuser   602            26 Jul 16 17:12 .bash_history
-rw-------    1 myuser   mail           41 Jul 16 17:15 .forward
-rw-rw----    1 myuser   mail        12288 Jul 16 17:11 .vacation.db
-rw-rw----    1 myuser   mail          131 Jul 16 17:11 .vacation.msg