[Wylug-help] mod_gzip

Geoff Richards qef at ungwe.org
Mon, 2 Jun 2003 20:10:54 +0100

On Mon, Jun 02, 2003 at 02:43:57PM +0100, mikeb@gbdirect.co.uk wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 02, 2003 at 02:08:52PM +0100, John C wrote:
> > Second request
> > I am trying to install mod_gzip on my server (I've had a request for it).
> > Has anybody any idea how to set it up ???
> > I run redhat 7.3
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > John C
>
> Last time I looked I had to compile the mod_gzip code then put it into
> the Apache modules directory. That was a while back though. When we used it
> it caused various browsers to barf on things like zipped style sheets or inner frames.
> Whether the world is a more sane place now I can't tell, but it was so bad
> that we turned it off again :(

I think it's possible to turn it on only for HTML pages, which shouldn't
cause problems.  I haven't tried this, but I found a webpage,
unfortunately in German, which shows some example Apache config to do
compression only for things that won't break browsers.  It has stuff
like this:

   # JA:   HTML-Dokumente
     mod_gzip_item_include         file       \.html$

   # NEIN: Include-Dateien/JavaScript & CSS (wegen Netscape4-bugs)
     mod_gzip_item_exclude         file       \.js$
     mod_gzip_item_exclude         file       \.css$

Now you can have fun trying to translate the comments.  The
page is here:

   http://www.schroepl.net/projekte/mod_gzip/config.htm

qef

--

--- Geoff Richards -------------><-------------- http://ungwe.org/ ---
"I tried to fling my shadow at the moon,