[Wylug-help] Web hosting advice sought.

Thomas, Nicholas nick.thomas at eldon.co.uk
Thu, 5 Jun 2003 02:11:10 -0600

All,

I run a website for a local hobby group. The web host is run by a mate of
mine who is a professional software developer living in Pickering (North
Yorks).
I can use perl, MySQL, PHP etc on the website and I get it at a very
reasonable price (free actually).

The reason it is such good value is:
a) I'm a mate.
b) When he setup his web hosting operation he needed someone to test the
features.

The bad news: the web hosting has not been the most lucrative part of his
business portfolio , and in he has indicated that in September, when his
lease is up for renewal, he doesn't intend to continue with this operation.

I therefore need to find an alternative web host.
So, can any wylug members suggest a good, local web hosting service (linux
based) which offers perl, MySQL, PHP, etc.

I realise that the time may now have come for me to get my hand in my pocket
and pay for these services, so any indication of costs would also be
appreciated.

For those who may be interested, the web host is RandersonHall Ltd
(http://www.randersonhall.co.uk <http://www.randersonhall.co.uk> ) and my
hobby group website is found at
http://www.idleringers.org.uk <http://www.idleringers.org.uk>   (Comments
about this website are gratefully received, but please remember I am not a
professional web site developer - so
I apologise for its amateur appearance.)

Thanks, and I look forward to any replies.

Regards

Nick

_________________________
Nick Thomas