[Wylug-help] Dell Poweredge 701n

Lee Evans lee at leeevans.org
Wed, 5 Mar 2003 18:13:58 +0000 (GMT)

Hi,

I've got one of these lying around, and I was hoping try and get it up
and running with Linux; however, I cracked it open only to discover
there was no PCI slot to put my waiting video card in. I'm pretty much
lost at this point, and I know a few people on the list have
experience with more awkward/unusual/embedded/esoteric hardware; I was
wondering if anyone could give me any pointers or confirm that I
should just give it up as a bad idea.

It has onboard ethernet, 2 IDE channels and a COM port; however, the
COM port isn't a usual 9pin job so my ideas along that front were
quickly demolished. The COM port has 8 pins, in a rectangular
formation, a little more spaced apart than usual. Perhaps someone
knows what that is / how I might talk to it, i sure dont :)

Any ideas appreciated.

Regards
Lee
--