[Wylug-help] X Keyboard Oddness

James Holden james at microcosmos.co.uk
Mon, 17 Mar 2003 13:59:29 -0000 (GMT)

Jason Lander said:

>> Okay, I'm beaten.... how do you get X to accept entry of characters
>> via the numeric keypad with Alt held, like Windows does. It works at
>> the console, but I can't get it to work in X.
>>
>> In an xterm, it ignores the Alt key, and I just get the numeric keys
>> echoed. In Mozilla, nothing happens at all.
>>
>> I have a debian box running an Internet kiosk, and the keyboard isn't
>> a standard type. There's an "at" symbol key, which sends Alt-064 which
>> I need to get working.
>
> I'm not sure if I understand the question, but the answer may be to use
>
>   xmodmap
>
> You should be able to use this to map particular combinations of
> modifiers (shift, control, etc) and keys to particular characters.
>
> The xmodmap man page is moderately intelligable.
>
> - Jason

I've looked at xmodmap and the compose options seemed the most promising,
but it doesn't quite do what I'm after. The compose option allows you to
(for instance) build accented characters by hitting (say) a then ^ to get
an =E2 (a with a hat, if it doesn't display properly).

I was hoping there was just an option to turn on in the keyboard section
of XF86Config. It works find at the console, though.

James

--
James Holden, Leeds, United Kingdom
james-at-jamesholden-dot-co-dot-uk