[Wylug-help] Small Office set-up

Simon Wood Simon.Wood at pace.co.uk
Fri, 21 Mar 2003 14:33:54 -0000

You can install open-office (and StarOffice) in a 'multi user' mode, see:

http://www.openoffice.org/FAQs/faq-source.html#11

Basically you do one install as root for the programs and then 'setup' as e=
ach user to generate the support directories in each user's home directory.

In order to share the files, the normal Linux file permission system will e=
nable you to use 'Groups' to allow only specific users to files. Users can =
belong to more than one group.

If you 'ls -al' you will see 3 sets of 'wrx' permissions and the owner and =
group for each file. The first 'wrx' is for the owner, the second for the g=
roup and third for everyone else.

These files can be place in a central location (i.e. /home/files), although=
 this does not provide file locking - so two users could be editing the fil=
e, the second to save will remove the changes of the first. This won't be a=
 problem if only one user will be using the system at one time (only one ke=
yboard ;-).

Hope this helps.

Simon Wood.