[Wylug-help] ISA Network card

James Holden james at microcosmos.co.uk
Wed, 14 May 2003 12:12:05 +0100

Quoting FENTON Mark John <s1264@greenhead.ac.uk>:

> I've checked out Genius's Website which advises:
>
> Other Genius Networking Cards
> GE2500 Series : NE2000 compatible PCI card
> **E2000 Series : NE2000 compatible ISA card, IRQ needs to be specified**
> GF100TXR: Configure as Realtek RTL8129/8139
> GF100TXRII: Configure as Realtek RTL8129/8139
>
> All very well, as the card is 10MBs only I assume it is the old sounding
> GE2000, so I have tried the NE2000 module (also tried the generic realtek
> module) but without an IRQ (or IO address) it makes no difference - the
> kernel
> cannot detect a card at the specified address.
>
> Re. using the dos disk to get out of PnP mode - does this mean I have to put
> the card in a windows machine (if I can get hold of a disk)?
>
> I forgot just how much fun ISA was when I got my newer PC...
>
> Mark Fenton

Mark,

You need to find the DOS utility floppy and a DOS boot disk. Boot off the DOS
disk, swap floppies and run the utility to fix set sensible IO and IRQ's.
Something like IO=0x260 and IRQ=9 should work.

Make sure you *disable* plug and play mode on the card, either with a jumper or
with the utility. Early PnP implementations really did deserve the "plug and
pray" moniker.

You may need to go into the plug and play setup in your BIOS to reserve the IRQ
you choose so that it doesn't get stolen for a PCI device, if there are PCI slots.

Chances are it's NE2000 compatible. If your NE2K driver is compiler into the
kernel, you'll need to add the parameters to the "append" statement in
/etc/lilo.conf, or if it's a module, pass them on the command line.

Let me know if you get stuck

James

--
James Holden, Leeds, United Kingdom