[Wylug-help] help needed

ailiminguk ailiminguk at yahoo.co.uk
15 May 2003 23:30:02 +0100

personally, for ease of use, I would go for Suse  or MAndrake.

If you want all of the docmentation and masses of software to choose
from, I would go for Suse , which you can pick up (if you want to buy
it) for=A340 from Staples or PCWorld. (it's =A360 for the pro edition, whic=
you only really need if you have more than one computer and are
administering a network or such complicated things)

Mandrake looks nicer, though 9.1 is buggy and may cause problems. You
can get the cds from plenty of magazines or download sites, and
cheeplinux sell the download editions on cds - cheap!

I must admit that I found Mandrake easier to get onto the internet, as
it recognised the modem etc first time, but SUSE is extremely nice and
newbie friendly. It only installs a default system, but you can add
other programs straight from the menu bar -It will also download and
install the Nvidia graphics drivers for you (which Mandrake don't do in
version 9.0)

There will be a copy of the first cd of SUSE 8.2 in the next linux
format magazine. WHsmiths in Leeds centre sell it and sometimes Borders
if ur lucky. You can get back copies aswell from the magazine - MAndrake
was on the cd in March or April I think - good cheap way just to try
them out and see which one you fancy....

As a personal choice, I would go for Suse 8.2 - if only for the fact
that the online update tool is so easy...

hope that is of some use...
dawn