[Wylug-help] accessing web page via user name

Gary Stainburn gary.stainburn at ringways.co.uk
Fri, 16 May 2003 16:01:29 +0100

On Friday 16 May 2003 3:52 pm, John Hodrien wrote:
> On Fri, 16 May 2003, Gary Stainburn wrote:
> > Because this means then anyone has access to anyone else's home, you may
> > wish to move this if you've got a multi user system. Read the comments in
> > the file.
>
> But that's the users' problem.  If they want to assign all their other
> files sensibly secure permissions then other people can't access their
> files.  For cgi-bin access, user beware, but no more than with any other
> web-server setup no?

True, but a little user hand holding - or at least mentioning this fact to a
sysadmin doesn't hurt.

A typical config that I have seen (but not used) is to have the user's homes
under /var/www/home/<user>, and then symlink this to ~user/public_html.

This way, the user can use ~/public_html/whatever.html, while still having his
home directory closed to everyone else.

--
Gary Stainburn