[Wylug-help] RE: floppy linux distro w/ audio

Tom Ward jesus at warwickcompsoc.co.uk
Tue, 27 May 2003 12:44:21 +0100

Two things spring to mind - firstly, start with a tom's root boot disk,
cut out of some the network card modules, add in the appropriate sound card
module, and then try and make some space for mpg321, ogg321 etc. IIRC the OSS
drivers don't require any userspace stuff, but ALSA drivers do, so use OSS :)

The other thing I'm thinking is - how much RAM does the machine have, and how
old is the harddrive? Could you boot from a ram drive, initialised from the
hard drive, and then shut down the harddrive? If it's not mounted, and you
give hdparm some nice settings ( I'm eyeing up -Y ) - it should be silent...

Tom