[Wylug-help] Looking for a old UNIX console based comms app.

Nigel Metheringham Nigel.Metheringham at dev.InTechnology.co.uk
27 May 2003 16:37:49 +0100

On Tue, 2003-05-27 at 16:26, Thomas, Nicholas wrote:
> Some years ago when I was working on SUN CAD workstations (Solaris OS) there
> was a console based application which
> you could use to commuincate with a colleague who is sat at another desk.
> If your colleague fired up the same app then both he and I would both see a
> program where the top half of the screen shows
> me what I am typing, and the bottom half show me what the other person is
> typing.

The basic app was talk.  There were a number of variants of it (ie
ntalk, ytalk etc).

It requires a daemon or listener process under inetd to be run -- which
I have never enabled on any machine I've admined, so you might find it
non-functional on your systems.  Sun systems were so insecure that
running an extra daemon wasn't a security risk :-)

	Nigel.

--
[ Nigel Metheringham           Nigel.Metheringham@InTechnology.co.uk ]