[Wylug-help] Looking for a old UNIX console based comms app.

Dave Brotherstone davegb at pobox.com
Tue, 27 May 2003 18:24:47 +0000

On Tuesday 27 May 2003 3:37 pm, Nigel Metheringham wrote:
<snip>
> It requires a daemon or listener process under inetd to be run -- which
> I have never enabled on any machine I've admined, so you might find it
> non-functional on your systems.  Sun systems were so insecure that
> running an extra daemon wasn't a security risk :-)

Just out of interest, are you referring to inetd, or talk, that you don't
enable?  And, if it was inetd, (not wishing to go too much off on a tangent),
is there an inetd style listener process that you do recommend, without the
security problems?  Or are they just inherent from the fact that you're
spawning processes off from an accept on a socket?

Thanks,

Dave.