[Wylug-help] Looking for a old UNIX console based comms app.

Roger Leigh roger at whinlatter.uklinux.net
27 May 2003 20:31:51 +0100

Nigel Metheringham <Nigel.Metheringham@dev.InTechnology.co.uk> writes:

> On Tue, 2003-05-27 at 16:26, Thomas, Nicholas wrote:
> > Some years ago when I was working on SUN CAD workstations (Solaris OS) there
> > was a console based application which
> > you could use to commuincate with a colleague who is sat at another desk.
> > If your colleague fired up the same app then both he and I would both see a
> > program where the top half of the screen shows
> > me what I am typing, and the bottom half show me what the other person is
> > typing.
>
> The basic app was talk.  There were a number of variants of it (ie
> ntalk, ytalk etc).

I discovered a GTK+ version a few days ago, too.

I have only ever used usefully once, when dialled into a multiuser
system, chat with another user on the system.  email is several orders
of magnitude more convenient, but talk does at least work in
real-time.

--
Roger Leigh

                GPG Public Key: 0x25BFB848 available on public keyservers