[Wylug-help] 10base2 components

James Holden james at microcosmos.co.uk
Wed, 28 May 2003 09:13:37 +0100

Quoting Neil Pilgrim <linux@kepier.clara.net>:

> James Holden wrote:
> > Neil Pilgrim wrote:
> >
> > >Anyone know a good source for these? I have a network here, some of
> > >which I cannot change to 10base2, and it seems to have died recently :(
> > >
> > Maplin, RS, anywhere really.
>
> True, didn't think of those places. Quick look on Maplin reveals some
> hidden away if I search for coaxial, but with no connectors attached
> AFAICT.

They sell the clamp style plugs, which are very easy to use (HH17T) or the
twist-on variety (JK21X).

> > >I'm suspecting the cable, since it goes under two doors and has probably
> > >got squashed, but not many people seem to sell 10base2 cable any more.
> > >Anybody know of anywhere which sells it, or if people have transitioned
> > >from it and have any spare cable kicking around? A short piece would be
> > >enough to test whether the cable is at fault :)
> > >
> > Standard RG-58 IIRC. How much do you need?
>
> Well about 50cm would enable me to test whether it works or not :)
> I probably have 4-5m in use atm.

I'll bring a generous helping along with me. I have about a third left of a 100m
reel I bought back in the first year of university. We ran cabled up our own
network over in Clarence Dock for Doom deathmatching. It involved pulling all
the suspended ceiling tiles down and running the cable in the middle of the night.

I think enough time's passed (nearly 7 years) for me to be able to admit to this
without the university getting on my case. (Note to current residents of D
block, ground floor: Look in the ceiling, it's still there!)

> > >Is anyone definitely going to the pub meet tomorrow? I have to work
> > >until at least 9, but if anyone's going to be there after that then I'll
> > >turn up :)
> >
> > I'll be there, probably at least until 9 unless everybody else goes.
>
> Well perhaps I'd better turn up then :)

You could always call over for it if you don't make it. I'm in Leeds 6.

James

--
James Holden, Leeds, United Kingdom
james@microcosmos.co.uk