[Wylug-help] Fw: Re: Installing a speedtouch modem

Steve King steve at kingsteve.co.uk
Thu Nov 13 20:49:46 GMT 2003

On Thu, 13 Nov 2003, Steve Eaton wrote:

> --
>  Hi there,
>
>  I'm hoping you can help me. I am a total Linux newbie and I have no
> idea how to install an Alcatel Speedtouch ADSL modem with SuSE 9.0.
> All the help I've received so far goes way over my head with all this
> compile kernel source stuff.
>  Can you help; I really don't want to go back to WinXP if I can help
> it!

Rik did a good talk on this earlier on in the year

http://www.wylug.org.uk/talks/2003/03/speedtouch.html

I don't know about SUSE, but I believe that the stingray usb modem "just
works" in recent mandrakes. I've always used it in conjunction with a
smoothwall box where it does "just work".

However, I'd suggest you dump the usb thing and get an adsl router!
(says he, who is now using his old usb stingray cos his adsl router
broke after a day's use!)

Steve