[Wylug-help] Fw: Re: Installing a speedtouch modem

Rik Wade rik at rikwade.com
Fri Nov 14 11:50:49 GMT 2003

On Fri, 14 Nov 2003, Dave Fisher wrote:

> I looks like Rik's talk would be a bit too technical for Steve E.
>
> Like everyone else, I'd strongly advise Windows escapees against even
> attempting to configure an ADSL modem that doesn't just work
> automatically with a newbie friendly distro.

This is really one of the problems with the Speedtouch USB (and other
USB DSL modems) with Linux. There is currently no "plug and play"
solution as far as I am aware.

I realised this when putting together the talk for WYLUG. It really
is getting down into the realms of building kernel modules and
playing with low-level configurations.

But that's life with Linux if you want it to do really useful stuff.

If you want a Unix(-like) environment but with plug-and-play, buy
a recent Mac and run OS X. You can still use Linux/BSD for server/build
applications if required.
--
rik