[Wylug-help] Mail attachment processing

Gary Stainburn gary.stainburn at ringways.co.uk
Fri Nov 14 16:35:07 GMT 2003

On Friday 14 Nov 2003 4:01 pm, James Holden (Wylug) wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Does anybody know of a utility that I can pipe mail through and have it
> automatically save attachments as files, so that they can be processed.
>
> I fancy having a go at putting pictures from my camera phone onto my
> website automatically, but just emailing them from the phone to a
> special address.
>
> James

Hi James,

I don't know of anything specific, but it should be a doddle to knock
something up.

I'm asuming your mail is arriving somehow on a Linux box.  From here, you can
use Perl to access the email in any number of ways, e.g. using a forward rule
in your MTA or a .forward file to pipe the message into a script, or you
could have Perl collect the email using POP3.

Once cought, you could use the MIME modules to extract the attachments and
produce individual files, and then, if your web server is remote, use
Net::ftp or such to upload the images.

If you want any help with this, give me some specifics and I'll see what I can
do.

Gary