[Wylug-help] USB memory sticks

Nigel Metheringham Nigel.Metheringham at dev.InTechnology.co.uk
Tue Nov 18 10:51:49 GMT 2003

On Tue, 2003-11-18 at 10:11, Gary Stainburn wrote:
> In my ignorance, I asume that the filesystem on these things is standard, and
> therefore would be equally accessible to WinXP and Linux (RH7.3+errata)
> systems - am I correct?

They are USB storage devices and so present to the system basically as a
SCSI block device.  In general they have an MS-DOS filesystem on them.

However you *can* put any filesystem you want on there (however avoid
ones that get small areas of the device "hot" - ie many journalling
filesystems, since the number of write operations on flash is limited,
and writes tend to be slowish).  For interchange of data between
disparate systems stick to MS-DOS filesystems.

	Nigel.