[Wylug-help] SCSI Parity

Graham Whaley graham.whaley at metagence.com
Wed Nov 19 10:05:54 GMT 2003

James,
  I don't know about turning the parity off, but something to watch out for
is cable lengths.  As the SCSI frequency ramps up (5/10/20 Mhz), the maximum
cable lengths (for the whole chain) drops.  So, on your O2, which runs 20Mhz
Ultra wide SCSI I think, the maximum cable length is 1 Metre.  That is for
all devices added up on a single chain.  I had to hand build a 500cm cable
to get an external Ultra wide drive to work on an O2.  Interestingly, the
errors I saw included parity errors.  Problems only turned up when we were
'hammering' the O2's drive.  It booted and ran fine until we tried to do a
major compile.

  Just something to be aware of if you are plugging a old and slow device
(5Mhz, standard SCSI-1) into a faster machine.

  If you really need some more info then I have the official SCSI-2 spec
laying around here somewhere.

  While we are here, anybody want some old 2Gig SCSI drives?  Might have a
set of 4 matching ones if anybody wants a 6/8 gig raid.  Otherwise they will
get scrapped one day.

	Graham

This e-mail has been sent from Imagination Technologies Limited.   PowerVR, Metagence, Ensigma
and PURE Digital are divisions of Imagination Technologies Limited.

The information contained in this e-mail, including any attachment, is confidential and may be
legally privileged.  It is intended solefy for the addressee(s) and access to this e-mail by
anyone else is unauthorised.  If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying or
distribution or use of the information contained in this e-mail, is prohibited and may be unlawful.
If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender by return e-mail and then
delete it from your system.

Internet communications cannot be guaranteed to be secure, error or virus-free.  The sender does
not accept liability for any errors or omissions which arise as a result.

Any views expressed in this message are those of the author, except where the author specifies and,
with authority, states them to be the views of Imagination Technologies Ltd.