[Wylug-help] USB memory sticks

Nigel Metheringham Nigel.Metheringham at dev.InTechnology.co.uk
Wed Nov 19 11:17:04 GMT 2003

On Wed, 2003-11-19 at 11:03, Gary Stainburn wrote:
> I've found the command usbview which does indeed see the memory stick and does
> report it as a mass storage device.  However, I still can't mount it.

Check that you have the following modules loaded (if not load them):-
	usbcore		(must be in for usbview to work)
	usb_storage

Use modprobe to load these since it will probably cause SCSI and a
couple of things to cascade in too.

Then it should appear on device sd[a-z]1 - normally sda1 but they tend
to creep up through sdb1 etc on each reinsertion under some
circumstances.

A current install with vendor kernel or general batch of included
modules should "just work".  Much of the magic is handled by the hotplug
package which will ensure the right modules are fired into place on
insertion.   You can also do mounts on insertion from there, although
dismounts might be more fun... or you can use autofs to do the mounts
(which is roughly how I do things).

It definitely "just works" with most straight USB storage sets for RH
7.3 or later.  Some USB flash adaptors (ie for SD cards etc) need more
work - normally just hacking the hotplug tables.  My smartmedia/xd
reader isn't handled by linux at all :-(

	Nigel.