[Wylug-help] USB memory sticks

Gary Stainburn gary.stainburn at ringways.co.uk
Wed Nov 19 11:17:16 GMT 2003

On Wednesday 19 November 2003 11:11 am, David Ross wrote:
> > I've inserted the memory stick into the USB socket andthen tried:
> >
> > mount -t msdos /dev/sda1 /mnt/floppy
> >
> > but it just comes back saying invalid filesystem.  If I use a different
> > device, e.g. /dev/sda[23] I get the same error message.
>
> I've tried pretty much the same thing with a sony micro vault (not
> protected), and no luck here either:
>
> rigel:/home/rossd# lsmod
> Module                  Size  Used by    Not tainted
> serial_cs               5440   0  (unused)
> xirc2ps_cs             14176   1
> ds                      6624   1  [serial_cs xirc2ps_cs]
> i82365                 22416   1
> pcmcia_core            41408   0  [serial_cs xirc2ps_cs ds i82365]
> irtty                   7456   2  (autoclean)
> irda                  138796   1  (autoclean) [irtty]
> apm                     9148   1  (autoclean)
> nbd                    14752   0  (unused)
> keybdev                 1664   0  (unused)
> usbkbd                  2848   0  (unused)
> input                   3072   0  [keybdev usbkbd]
> usb-uhci               20708   0  (unused)
> usbcore                48032   0  [usbkbd usb-uhci]
> rigel:/home/rossd# mount -t msdos /dev/sda1 /mnt
> mount: /dev/sda1 is not a valid block device
> rigel:/home/rossd# mount -t msdos /dev/sda /mnt
> mount: /dev/sda is not a valid block device
>
> I can see some usb support here, but not sure if it's sufficient or even if
> I'm trying to mount it properly.  Bit worried about the "usb-uhci
> 20708   0  (unused)" bit...
>
> Any points would be appreciated

I get:

[root at dcomp2 usb]# lsmod |grep usb
usb-storage            67968   0
scsi_mod              106956   2  [sd_mod usb-storage]
usb-uhci               24612   0  (unused)
usbcore                73792   1  [usb-storage usb-uhci]
[root at dcomp2 usb]#

The (unused) I don't think is a problem because USB is definitely working to
detect the device initially. What I can't work out is what is needed to mount
the device.