[Wylug-help] Install modules on boot

Nigel Metheringham Nigel.Metheringham at dev.InTechnology.co.uk
Mon Nov 24 09:27:47 GMT 2003

On Fri, 2003-11-21 at 10:53, Felix Ulrich-Oltean wrote:
> Being more of a Debian guy, I can't figure out how to make modules
> load on boot on RedHat9.  I need to load the dpt_i2o (Adaptec RAID
> driver) module to be able to mount the raid device (/dev/sdb1).
>
> In Debian, you could just add things in /etc/modules, or use modutils.

If your root fs is on this device then you need to add the appropriate
entries to /etc/modules.conf (scsi_hostadapter entry) - these would be
typically put into place by the installer.

You then use mkinitrd to make the initrd with that module (set) and make
sure your grub (or lilo) entries load that initrd.  [The Red Hat kernels
create an appropriate initrd and boot entries when you install them
using rpm assuming your modules.conf is appropriate]

If its loaded after the root fs, then you just put the entries in
modules.conf and it should just work.

	Nigel.