[Wylug-help] SuSE 8.1

Roger Leigh roger at whinlatter.uklinux.net
Sun Nov 30 22:50:00 GMT 2003

Paul Grenyer <paul at paulgrenyer.co.uk> writes:

> As some of you may have read in my last post, I've experimenting with
> SuSE this weekend, and I have to say I'm not impressed. Are there any
> SuSE fans here?

I'm a Debian guy myself, but I did a SuSE install (8.2) on a machine
at work a few weeks back.  I was very impressed with the
installer--the best I've seen yet, though the Mandrake one is also top
notch.  After installation, I was also happy with the "user
experience" after I first logged in.

[My only complaint with the installer was its failure to detect an md
raid1 array over hde and hdg (whole disks, no partition tables) with
LVM on top of that.  It wanted to install over the top of them.  After
starting up the RAID and LVM, it detected the LVM LVs.]

In the end, I didn't use it.  I needed the lastest GTK+ and Gnome
libraries for development work for my job, so SuSE wasn't a viable
choice--I went for Debian unstable instead, since at the time it was
the only distribution offering what I needed (Gtkmm, libglademm etc.).

> Anyway, the things that disappointed me about SuSE 8.1 were that the
> mouse response was very poor, especially when the machine was busy, the
> graphics were difficult to setup and poor even after the correct NVidia
> drivers were installed and the inline update didn't seem to work.
>
> Have other people seen these problems? Is it just that I need a later
> version? At the moment I'm considering moving to Fedora after all. Can
> anyone change my  mind?

I think that Fedora is a very good idea, and I think that although
RedHat have been heavily criticised for their recent decisions, this
will pay off in a big way if they can get a "community" to develop
around it.  It's well worth watching.

However... there is already a community-developed distribution
available.  It's called Debian GNU/Linux, and it's bigger (in size)
than any other.

--
Roger Leigh