[Wylug-help] IT Hardware Suppliers

Philip Wyett philip at wyett.net
Sat Oct 11 06:19:46 BST 2003

--
On Fri, 2003-10-10 at 16:18, Paul Grenyer wrote:
> Hi
>
> > Dunno about the 3ware cards, but CCL are generally pretty good, and
> > they're more Linux-friendly than many suppliers.
> > http://www.cclcomputers.co.uk/
>
> Yeah, but it's a shame about their complete lack of customer service
> and their products poor reliability.
>
> It got so bad that I will not now use them under any circumstances.

Hi,

It's sad to hear you've had problems with CCL. In my dealings with them
over the years (and it is many many years), I think I've had one DOA
(Dead On Arrival) motherboard, a Fujitsu 20Gb HDD fail (a manufacturing
fault which CCL couldn't do much about bar change it) and the odd thing
here and there. CCL have always been decent and not quibbled about
faulty goods swaps, plus the service has been friendly and quite prompt.

I will temper the above though by saying I have not used CCL for
components for a while now, not because of the goods general quality or
service, but a gradual narrowing down of stock selection. :( Motherboard
selection is a good example. I like plain boards with usuable features
and at the mo I look for support for P4 or AMD, 8x AGP, USB2, 1394
(Firewire), SATA and with on-board LAN is nice. I don't like Nforce
based boards, boards with tons of IDE controllers annoy me :) and MSI
motherboards are just plain cheap and nasty and not for production
systems! Where does this leave me at present? Yes, buying elsewhere and
not at my local retailer. :(

Regards

Phil

Email: philip at wyett.net