[Wylug-help] When upgrading linux kernel.

Thomas, Nicholas nick.thomas at eldon.co.uk
Mon Oct 13 10:58:56 BST 2003

All,

Sorry if you heard this one before, but.

When I want to upgrade my linux kernel, for example I recently changed from
2.4.14 to 2.4.19, I have to to go through the "make menuconfig" or "make
xconfig"
step as usual.
I find it difficult to remember all of the settings in my old kernel, and I
invariably miss something out when configuring the new kernel, for example:
which
sound drivers I compile as a module, or how much ram disk size I use.

I know that the settings are all in the .config file in the old kernel
source directory, so is there a way (program, or bash script or something)
which will automatically
configure the new kernel to be the same as the old one, and leave any new
stuff as "default" settings. This way I only need to concern myself with the
new
stuff provided in the newer kernel.
Is it OK to simply copy the old .config file into the new source directory?
and does this work between major kernel versions?

I know this is only a trivial thing; I can eventually get everything setup
as required, but it would be nice to know that I am starting from a known
working configuration.

Help appreciated.

Regards

Nick