[Wylug-help] tcp/ip printing

Nigel Metheringham Nigel.Metheringham at dev.InTechnology.co.uk
Tue Sep 2 09:03:10 BST 2003

On Mon, 2003-09-01 at 17:12, w tom lawrie wrote:
> i have just installed RH9 and updated it via the Red Hat Network. i need
> to be able to print to a printer using its ip address 206.xxx.xxx.xxx
> etc. i managed it under win2000 but am having difficulty setting it up
> under linux. the printer configuration utility offers IPP using CUPS but
> this does not appear to work. any suggestions on where to start? i have
> already searched the wylug help archives without finding anything of
> use. the name of the relevant HOWTO file might be a starting point.
> thanks in advance
> nugget newbie

Best thing to do is portscan the printer to see what protocols it
apparently supports:-
        > nmap 1.2.3.4

        Starting nmap 3.26 ( www.insecure.org/nmap/ ) at 2003-09-02 08:56 BST
        Interesting ports on 1.2.3.4
        (The 1616 ports scanned but not shown below are in state: closed)
        Port       State       Service
        21/tcp     open        ftp
        23/tcp     open        telnet
        80/tcp     open        http
        280/tcp    open        http-mgmt
        515/tcp    open        printer
        631/tcp    open        ipp
        9100/tcp   open        jetdirect

This printer is a relatively modern HP, which can handle the lpd
protocol (port 515/printer), ipp (port 631) and jetdirect (port 9100).

I actually run it using jetdirect since the IPP support is buggy
(actually the whole damn printer is buggy, but this way crashes it a
little less than other means).

	Nigel.