[Wylug-help] How to make Apache log its caching activity

Felix Ulrich-Oltean felix at chaptereight.com
Tue Apr 27 09:15:34 BST 2004

Hi

I'm using Apache 1.3 (with mod_proxy) as a caching reverse proxy in front
of some Zope servers.  I'd like to monitor the caching aspect,
i.e. which requests Apache is serving from cache vs. passing through
to the backend servers.  Is there a way to get Apache to log this
info?

I can't find anything in the docs, either for mod_proxy or for
mod_log_config.  I used Squid before for the same purpose, and Squid
obviously reported its caching activity much more readily.

I've also asked on the apache user list, but had no responses yet:

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.apache.user/36787

My Apache config:

LoadModule proxy_module /usr/lib/apache/1.3/libproxy.so
<VirtualHost X.X.X.X:80>
        DocumentRoot    /var/www
        ServerName XXXXX
        ProxyPass / http://localhost:8000/XXXXXX
        ProxyPassReverse / http://localhost:8000/XXXXXX
        CacheRoot               /var/cache/apache
        CacheSize               4096
        CacheForceCompletion    80
        CacheGcInterval         1
        CacheMaxExpire          2