[Wylug-help] internet connection sharing question

James Holden wylug at jamesholden.net
Sat Aug 14 11:32:31 BST 2004

C.Mackins at Bradford.ac.uk wrote:
| Can anyone out there answer me a question about internet connection
sharing -
| I'm sure there must be a tecchie or two out there.
|
| I've just installed 3 home PCs with Mandrake Linux 9.2.
| I have purchased a Netgear DG834 modem/router/firewall.
|
| Now, with the router, it suggests that I need to connect everything to the
| router/computers before connecting; then, through a web browser I am
apparently
| able to configure my connection before being able to access the
internet.  I
| thought this would be almost an instanaeus effort, but I'm having a few
| problems, which i'm sure i can sort out.
|
| My question though, everything appears to be working just fine - the
lights on
| the mdem show an adsl connection and the appropriate connection to
computers;
| ethernet cards are lit up; and between them they are blinking away like a
| christmas tree.  Though I haven't established a connection that allows
me to
| 'view' web pages, clearly there is activity.  Until I am able to get a
web page
| on line - could there be a security vulnerabilty - because I've not
configured
| the connection, I'm unable to view/access the in built firewall.

The lights on the modem will show ADSL synchronisation, ie: it's getting
a 'carrier'. This isn't the last step in the process.

(Disclaimer: I don't have ADSL, I'm on cable, but I've been through this
process a couple of times with other peoples' kit.)

You will need to enter some parameters into the web interface on the
router. These will include the service name, the transport type (eg:
PPPoE or PPPoA) and a username and password. If you're not sure about
these, ring your ISP.

To access the web interface on the router, you need to find it's default
IP address. This is likely to be something like 10.0.0.1, or 192.168.0.1
or something like that. See the manual for the actual address. Point
your web browser to http://10.0.0.1/ or whatever it tells you.

There's no security risk at the moment, because I don't think you've got
a connection to the Internet. Although many don't, some brain dead
routers allow access to the web interface from the Internet side of the
router. You should change the admin password as soon as you can.

I'm assuming that your PC's network cards are working OK, and the have
picked up IP addresses OK. To check this, open a terminal window and type:

/sbin/ifconfig eth0

You should get output similar to this:

eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:02:2D:0D:F6:3D
~          inet addr:192.168.1.131  Bcast:192.168.1.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
~          UP BROADCAST NOTRAILERS RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
~          RX packets:640 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
~          TX packets:493 errors:1 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
~          collisions:0 txqueuelen:100
~          RX bytes:348381 (340.2 Kb)  TX bytes:75410 (73.6 Kb)
~          Interrupt:3 Base address:0x100

There should be an 'inet addr' specified which should be the same as the
default router IP address, except the last digit will be different.

If you're still stuck, drop me a mail.

James