[Wylug-help] Problems recognising CDRW

C.Mackins at Bradford.ac.uk C.Mackins at Bradford.ac.uk
Tue Aug 24 09:07:57 BST 2004

Hi all sorry to keepmthis one going, but I think I've screwed uup and as a
newbie not sure what to do next.

> > My priority was to install security updates.  However, there was lots of
> > updates and so I decided to download all of them.  On reboot, all my desk
> > top icons had been lost and replaced with a blue folder; this was also true
> > of all my programmes from the menu - whats more, most of the programmes had
> > also disappeared too. Any ideas?
>
> Yes, it was a bug in 9.2.  Try update-menus -v in a root console.  I think
> you'll find that it fixes it and it shouldn't happen again if you have got
> the updates.

I went into Konsole, su to root, and entered update-menus -v, the follwoing is a
transcript from Konsole:

[root at localhost xxxxxx]# update-menus -v
[root at localhost xxxxxx]# update-menus[2072]: Dpkg not locking dpkg status area.
ood.
Update-menus[2072]: Reading installed packages...
[root at localhost xxxxxx]# update-menus[2072]:Reading translate info in /etc/menu-
Update-menus[2072]: Reading menuentryfiles in /etc/menu/
Update-menus[2072]: Reading menuentryfiles in /usr/lib/menu/
Update-menus[2072]: Readingmenuentryfiles in /usr/lib/menu/default
Update-menus[2072]: Running menu-methods in etc/menu-methods/
Update-menus[2072]: Running method:/etc/menu-methods//menu
Update-menus[2072]: Running method:/etc/menu-methods//twm
Update-menus[2072]: Running method :/etc/menu-methods//kde3
Update-menus[2072]: Runnning
method:/etc/menu-methods//gnome-mime-data-applicatio
Update-menus[2072]: Running method:/etc/menu-methods//gnome-mime-data-keys
Update-menus[2072]: Running method:/etc/menu-methods//icewm
Update-menus[2072]: Reading translate info in etc/menu-methods/transale_menus
Update-menus[2072]: Reading menuentryfiles in /etc/menu/simplified/
Update-menus[2072]: Reading menuentryfiles in /usr/lib/menu/simplifies/
Update-menus[2072]: Running method:/etc/menu-methods/simplified//kde3

Then it just hung fro a while.  I presuemd it was complete (?).
The, I tried again to install updates from the MCC - and again, I have lost my
icons and programmes.  I cannot re run this, as Konsole has gone!  Also, I
saved   this script.  I'm running a different machine to send this email, and
so I tried to copy to a floppy, but it simply refuses to do so.  I have had op
write it all down again!  So I think I have really mucked this up.

Should I have Left Konsole running anylonger?  Should i have refrained form
going inMCC after - I thought it was Ok

> Yes, it was a bug in 9.2.  Try update-menus -v in a root console.  I think
> you'll find that it fixes it and it shouldn't happen again if you have got
> the updates.

Am I douing something superobviously wrong here?  I looked in the Twiki, but
cannot see anything there about this matter.

Chris.

This mail sent through IMP: http://webmail.brad.ac.uk
To report misuse from this email address forward the message
and full headers to misuse at bradford.ac.uk