[Wylug-help] Problems recognising CDRW

C.Mackins at Bradford.ac.uk C.Mackins at Bradford.ac.uk
Tue Aug 24 11:44:41 BST 2004

Anne, thanks so much for getting back with this information.  If you are able,
I've given some feedback to your last response - i'm very new to this, and feel
as if I've fallen at the first hurdle!  If you are able to respond, it would be
very much appreciated.  Thanks again for all your support.

> > I went into Konsole, su to root, and entered update-menus -v, the follwoing
> > is a transcript from Konsole:
> >

> > Should I have Left Konsole running anylonger?  Should i have refrained form
> > going inMCC after - I thought it was Ok
> >
> I have seen this too - it doesn't happen after all commands, but it does
> after
> some.  If you had hit 'enter' the prompt would almost certainly have come
> back.  Meanwhile, here is a response for you:
>
> <quote>
> This is the default behaviour - no feedback at finish, just hit return and
> you
> should get a prompt back

Yes I can confirm that a prompt appeared after hitting Enter. I then typed
'exit' to get out.  However, from the previous script, it wasn't obvious (to
me)  what had occured - had the updates occured? However, the initial problem
remains, that I lose icon and menu programmes.

> Have you or your friend installed any non-Mandrake packages?

All I have done is a clean install from MDK 9.2 official CDs.  There have been
no additional installs of any software packages.

> For example, I cannot allow xskat (German card game) into the menus, even
> manually, or I lose the lot - I have to launch it from the Run... menu.
> Mandrake is very picky about the structure of the menu entries, so you might
> try logging out of X-Windows and running update-menus -v as root again.

I'm new to this and a little confused here - how do I log out of X-Windows and
update as root.  I'm presuming this means not loading the desktop and go
stright into a Konsole - how am I able to do this?  Assuming I'm able to upload
from root, would I expect to see the same/similar script as previous; would I
get any confirmation available updates (e.g.in MCC you get a list of updates
and dependencies); how would I install any updates from root?

> As for the loss of access to the menus, if you right click on the desktop,
> you
> should get a contextual menu, with the ´Run Command... item´. Just type
> konsole in there, or mozilla-firefox or whatever else is in your PATH...

Not sure what is meant by a contextual menu, however, on desktop I right click
and get the following options:

Create New
Bookmarks
Undo: Copy
Paste (greyed out)
Icons
Windows
Refresh Desktop
Configure Desktop (which refuses to do anything!)
Lock Screen
Logout

Cannot see any option for a Run Command.

> If your friend hasn´t had KDE installed for very long, you might also try
> mv-ing the ~/.kde directory to .kdeorg/, again being out of X-Windows at the
> time, then relaunching KDE and seeing if your menus don´t come back.

Not sure how to do this operation (new newbie) but would have had a go from
'Home', however, even this has become inaccesible.

My feelings are - to overcome and understand the uploads from root.  If I can
get my head around this, I'll be happier.  If I can upload (and know what I've
uploaded/installed) then if the problem isn't overcome, I can do a clean
install, and then instead of updating from MCC, I can instead update from root.

Ah, I was so pleased at the w/e - after months of trying to connect with a
speedtouch modem, I managed to get a network live, up and running.  Now I feel
like I've just been put back in my place!  I refuse to give up.'
This mail sent through IMP: http://webmail.brad.ac.uk
To report misuse from this email address forward the message
and full headers to misuse at bradford.ac.uk