[Wylug-help] setting up Apache for virtual hosts for LAN only access

Roger Beaumont roger.b at beaunet.force9.net
Thu Dec 23 21:05:42 GMT 2004

On Thursday 23 December 2004 16:45, Mike wrote:
<snip>
> A couple of people suggested *:80 for the server - I think that works if
> serving the web, but not sure on a lan. Also, is it good for all
> versions, or only 2+?

Hi Mike,

I'm sure that port 80 is dedicated to the Hyper Text Transfer Protocol (HTTP)
by international standard.  LAN or Internet (or even using the same machine
for both client and server) doesn't affect that.  Similarly, all Webserver
software, under no matter what OS (including all versions of Apache) must use
port 80.

Oh yeah, and php (versus static HTML, or any other script, etc.) is simply a
means of generating http docs dynamically, so that doesn't change the port
number either.  It's still using the http - and thus uses port 80.

Roger