[Wylug-help] eth1 "too much work at interrupt 0x0040"

Dave Fisher davef at gbdirect.co.uk
Mon Dec 27 20:59:19 GMT 2004

Hi,

A couple of days ago I accidentally rebooted my home gateway server.  It
seemed to come up well enough, but now I'm getting this error whenever I
try to scp a large file from an internal machine to the gatetway:

  too much work at interrupt 0x0040

I also notice that I'm dropping packets and getting 1000s of overuns on
the internal interface (eth1) on the gateway machine. It is a realtek8139,
but I suspect the hardware model is a red herring.

Google reveals many reports of similar behaviour, but I can find no
continuous thread which fully diagnoses the problem and hence suggests a
solution.

One half-helpful thread on a Debian mailing list suggested a 'policy'
bug, which prevented the interface card's configuration from being
unloaded on 'reboot', but ensured it on 'halt'.  This doesn't seem to be
my problem since the report was very old and I've manually unloaded
the config  and fully halted the machine, but got no joy.

Any constructive suggestions would be appreciated.

Dave