[Wylug-help] Linux gPhoto with a Sony DSC P72 digital camera

John Hodrien johnh at comp.leeds.ac.uk
Thu Feb 26 17:46:42 GMT 2004

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004, Nigel Metheringham wrote:

> On Thu, 2004-02-26 at 16:09, Thomas, Nicholas wrote:
> > However, the camera says it uses USB version 2.0 and my compaq armada laptop
> > is USB version 1.0.
> >
> > Will I be able to download from the camera to my laptop?
>
> Yes* - just more slowly than with the USB 2 higher speed options -- of
> course thanks to the infinite wisdom of the USB marketing idiots there
> are 2 versions of USB 2 - fullspeed and something else (highspeed?).  I
> can never remember which one actually runs at more than 12Mbit.  Death
> is just too good for some people.

They wanted to differentiate after the fact between 1.0 and 1.1.  Problem is
1.0 *isn't* compatible with 2.0 devices.  So they renumbered them to:

New               Old
1.0               USB 1 (12Mbit)
2.0 Full Speed    USB 1.1 (12Mbit)
2.0 Hi Speed      USB 2.0 (480Mbit)

So I wouldn't want to say that a USB 2.0 device would definitely work in a USB
1.0 controller.  Don't not buy the camera because of that though, just buy a
USB 2.0 card as well...

jh

--
"It is the final proof of God's omnipotence that he need not exist in order to
 save us."                                           -- Peter De Vries