[Wylug-help] File recovery

Anne Wilson cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk
Tue Jul 6 08:29:36 BST 2004

On Tuesday 06 Jul 2004 00:59, don.magee wrote:
> Have you tried dosfsck. I think it has a file undelete facility.
> But I would make a copy of the disk before I used it.

Hi, Don.  I used fatback.  I recovered almost everything from one partition -
fortunately this was the important partition.  The second one, the one with
holiday photos and family photos, must have been very badly mangled, though.
Both fatback and autopsy could see directory names, but no files in any of
the directories.  I have backups of many of the files, though, so the loss is
sad but not desperately important.

In fact faback can be directed to output to any directory you choose, so I
kept it right away from the originals.  I'll keep those two vfat partitions
until I'm certain I don't need to try anything further on them, then I'll
drop them and reclaim the space.

Registered Linux User No.293302