[Wylug-help] Looking for an Email Client - Console, remote IMAP access

mikeb at gbdirect.co.uk mikeb at gbdirect.co.uk
Fri Jul 9 14:33:45 BST 2004

On Fri, Jul 09, 2004 at 02:13:28PM +0100, Dave Fisher wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 09, 2004 at 01:55:49PM +0100, Peter Bingham wrote:
> > I'm looking for an email client, to operate over SSH, with a remote IMAP
> > server. I'd prefer to have something free, which is why I've not gone to
> > pine. I'm currently running Debian, and trying to be free :)
>
> Mutt compares favourably with pine for features (inc IMAP over SSH and
> the main mailbox formats), can be configured to the nth degree, but its
> configuration is not the easiest to wrestle to the floor.  The debian
> package has most of the things that you might ever want (inc attatchment
> handling), straight out of the box.
>
> It's been the default here at GBdirect for donkey's years.
>
> Dave

I have to agree with Dave. I use mutt from my laptop and have used the IMAP features
of mutt but have now settled on using fetchmail to collect the mail from any remote
IMAP servers I need and then browsing the mail locally using mutt. I happen to think
that my solution is easier than using remote servers directly from mutt
but then that's probably a) just because I'm used to it and b) because a lot of my
work is done on trains etc. when locally stored email is essential.

Mike