[Wylug-help] Linux Graphics/Monitors Vivo/DVI Questions

Dave Fisher davef at gbdirect.co.uk
Wed Jun 16 17:33:19 BST 2004

Hi All,

I must begin by apologising for having to ask such questions here, but
the google signal to noise ratio is just too adverse on this topic.

I am, reluctantly, planning to build myself a new system over the
summer.  I don't want to do this again for 2-3 years, so I am thinking
about buying flashier kit than I'd normally go for.  Unfortunately, this
puts me in terra incognita as far as well-documented linux compatibility
goes.

My current concern is monitors and graphics cards.  I notice, for
example that several monitors and cards no longer use traditional
VGA-style connectors/signals.  Most supplier websites distinguish
between analogue and digital monitors, with many advertising (but not
explaining) acronyms like DVI, VIVO, VI, VO, D-Sub, TV-Out, RF-in.
TV-Out appears to mean S-Video output from the graphics card, D-Sub
appears to mean a 15 pin connector for digital video, RF-in is obviously
an analogue TV aerial input.

The Questions:

1. Am I correct in thinking that the monitors advertised as 'digital',
receive signals from the graphics card via D-Sub connectors/cables?

2. Does 'VO' and 'Video-Out' just mean 'composite video' out?

   - If not, what does it mean?

3. Am I correct in thinking that 'digital' monitors  produce better
(less error-prone, more controllable) output?

4. Do the Linux nVidia drivers actually support digital video out?

   - I'm mainly looking at nVidia cards since they seem to offer the
     least trouble in terms of basic features.

   N.B. I've looked around the nVidia site.  The general message seems
   to suggest that 'everything just works' under linux, but I've seen
   plenty of TV and video related mailing lists suggesting trouble with
   more exotic components and distros.

5. Do the Linux nVidia drivers support composite video out?

6. I understand that the Linux nVidia drivers support TV-Out, but are
   there any known problems with configurimg it?

7. If DVI and VI mean 'digital video in', do graphic cards have it in
   order to take input from devices like digital video cameras?

   - If so, what linux device names do such inputs have?

   - Do cameras and such devices use D-sub connectors?

8. Has anyone managed to capture analogue TV from an nVidia card with
   RF-in and TV tuner?

Direct answers or links to reference sites would be appreciated.

Dave