[Wylug-help] Fw: Automate Web logins

Nigel Metheringham Nigel.Metheringham at dev.intechnology.co.uk
Wed Jun 30 09:16:52 BST 2004

On Tue, 2004-06-29 at 19:35, Smylers wrote:
> Idris Fulat writes:
> > PS.. just out of interest my VB code opens IE 'looks' for the login
> > and password fields, fills them in and then submits and then closes IE
> > (its like a background task without actually showing the IE window so
> > the user continues with their IE session).
>
> Oh, wow.  (And I don't mean that in the good way ...)
>
> > The linux alternatives seem awfully complicated from my point of view.

There is also a fundemental difference in what the Windows and Linux
things are doing, because in windows you are driving an browser that is
effectively part of the OS and probably running all the time.  This
means that doing this form of authentication will also push cookies into
any other browser instances you have open, with potentially interesting
effects (one of which may be that things stop working if you start
browsing using a non-IE browser).

Frankly it appears that whats being required here has some fundamental
problems - trying to do security through being a pain in the arse.

	Nigel.