[Wylug-help] module astray - Conexant HCF controllerless modem

mike at jazzitis.uklinux.net mike at jazzitis.uklinux.net
Mon Mar 1 17:36:42 GMT 2004

Hi, folks,

I've downloaded the driver and tried to install it for a Conexant modem, on RH9 ,
Linux kernel 2.4.20-8. The kernel, I believe, is loading as an i386 on an i686 machine
(kernel-2.4.8-20-i386.BOOT.config or kernel-2.4.8-20-i386.config), which may be the
cause of the problem, and I'd need help with a recompile (for which I'm willing to pay).
modprob /dev/ttySHCF throws no error messages and dmesg shows:

PCI: Found IRQ5 for device 00:10:0
ttySHFC0 at I/O 0xe400 (irq:5) is a Conexant HCF controllerless PCI modem

I've dug around and ensured that /dev/modem is a symbolic link to /dev/ttySHCF0
then used command lspci which reports (many lines down near the end of its output):

00:10:1 Communications controller: Conexant: Unknown device 1085 (rev89)

Can anyone help me, please, either by visiting me at Batley or talking me through if a
recompile is necessay, or, if not, with any ideas which may previously have worked in
this situation? The device is definitely an HCF and not a HSF (softmodem) chipset,
specifically CX06834-11.

Best regards,

Mike Goodman
01924 485387 or (mobile) 07743 825093Mike
home: 01924 443335
work: 01924 485387
mobile: 07941 949172
mike at jazzitis.uklinux.net