[Wylug-help] new registered mandrake . . .

mike at jazzitis.uklinux.net mike at jazzitis.uklinux.net
Tue Mar 9 11:20:26 GMT 2004

 a home network (more than one box?), so have
Nik wrote:

>>you considered getting a firewalling router for your broadband
connection?  This will alleviate most of your fears, and protect all the
boxes on your network.  If you are not intending to run any public
servers then I'd cautiously suggest that this is probably enough for
your purposes - with Linux you don't need personal firewalls to
prevent
software from phoning home, anti-virus software, anti-trojan software
etc like you do on Windows.  You should be able to get one for about
£100.  I'm a fan of Draytek routers, but many people recommend the
Linksys ones.<<

Take a look at Nick Knows' site - I just bought an SMC Networks'
"ADSL Barricade" there for less than £75 inc. VAT with a print server
port plus the usual firewall, four 10/100base slots (just hang your
existing switch or hub from one of them). www.nickknows.com. The
phone number is on the site and the guys on the end of it are very
knowledgable, helpful and Linux-friendly!

Good luck.

MikeMike
home: 01924 443335
work: 01924 485387