[Wylug-help] Re: new registered member - How do I harden Mandrake 9.2?

C.Mackins at Bradford.ac.uk C.Mackins at Bradford.ac.uk
Wed Mar 10 14:15:06 GMT 2004

I have found 1 interesting article about 'hardening' Linux which [appears] to
offer a pretty sound explanation about the concept, useful to those like myself,
who are new to the Linux experience.

http://www.justlinux.com/nhf/Security/Securely_Installing_Linux.html

Thing is, it's understanding what you need, as oppossed to what you don't want
which is the cause of confusion.

---If i use an old PC, load it with Mandrake for it to act as the firewall
(using the built in programme) and network share it with 2 home Pcs - would this
offer good security, or would I be better to install a dedicated firewall?---

Apolgies if this sounds a stupid question, I'm starting to get myself into a
whirl here. Guess it's a case of setting up, then getting dirty hands and using
Sygate.

The site http://twiki.mdklinuxfaq.org as I have just found out is a haven of
information, some excellent resources for the Linux Mandrake newbie.

This mail sent through IMP: http://webmail.brad.ac.uk
To report misuse from this email address forward the message
and full headers to misuse at bradford.ac.uk