[Wylug-help] Help with Linux core file.

Thomas, Nicholas nick.thomas at eldon.co.uk
Mon Mar 22 10:16:10 GMT 2004

Hi,

My user space app has produced a core file. I usually run:
gdb -c core.xxx

To make sure that the core file was generated by my suspect app.
Then I run:
gdb appname core.xxx

To attempt to debug it.
Normally gdb will first load all of the shared libraries and then it will
try to show me where the crash happened.

However, this time I have a 270MB core file !!! And when I run "gdb appname
core.xxx" All I get is:

---------------------------------------
GNU gdb 5.0
conditions.
This GDB was configured as "i686-pc-linux-gnu"...
Core was generated by `appname >>/tmp/SatExec.log'.
#0  0x4010738e in ?? ()
(gdb)

I can't believe that a 270MB core file only show me this info!!!

Anybody got any ideas?

I compiled the apps and libs with the -g option, and the output of gdb
usually does show me where in the source code the problem(s) are.

One thing, when this app crashed it also crashed the X server, and the
system automatically shutdown and rebooted. Could this have any significant
issue relating to my core file?
I am running a system based on RedHat 6.2 with kernel 2.4.17.

Any help appreciated.

Regards

Nick

_________________________