[Wylug-help] MDK 9.2 and Knoppix 3.3 refuse to load.

Chris Mackins c.mackins at bradford.ac.uk
Wed Mar 31 01:05:23 BST 2004

Hello all

sorry about this long message, but I'm having some real problems trying
to install Linux on a box at home (though I've had some success
installing mdk 9.2 on two machines - one of them an old brick with a 1
gig HDD, however the third will not entertain me at all).

Using mdk 9.2 CDs, it appears to install and configure, on reboot, it
hangs, preventing the GUI install.

 The reboot starts and takes me to  the following :

Mounting proc filesystem [OK]
Setting default font (lat0-16) [OK]
Welcome to Mandrake Linux 9.2
Press 'I' to enter interactive startup
Running DevFs daemon [OK]
Unmounting initrd: [OK]
Configuring kernel parameters: [OK]

***Hangs up here forever, unless I press CTRL-C***

INIT: Entering runlevel: 5
/etc/rc.d/rc: line 73: /var/run/runlevel.dir: Read-only file system
Starting iptables: [OK]
Checking for new hardware [FAILED]
Touch: cannot touch 'var/lock/subsys/harddrake': Read-only file system
Setting network parameters: [OK]
Bringing up loopback interface: [OK]
Bringing up interface eth0: [OK]
Touch: cannot touch 'var/lock subsys/network': Read-only file system
Starting partmapper: [OK]
Touch: cannot touch 'var/lock/subsys/partmap': Readonly file system
Starting system logger

***Here, just a few seconds later, it hangs up again, CTRL-C is no use.
If
Left alone, approx 5 minutes later then the following prompt on a fresh
black screen follows***

(none) login:

***here, user name is entered and a request for a password is then made
which is followed by the following text (a lot of text suddenly appears
and I'm certain this is the first two lines***

Authentication failed - cannot start X server.
Perhaps you do not have console ownership? giving up.
xinit: no such file or directory (errno2): unable to connnect to X
server
xinit: No such process (errno3): server error.
xauth: creating new authority file/home/user/.Xauthority

it prompts me for a user name and password which it then does not
recognise (although they are DEFINITELY the correct one's).

I've now done dozens of installs, used about 5 different CD roms, tried
a couple of HDDs.  I've also tried to 'upgrade' rather than do installs.
On the summary screen, I've tried re configuring the graphics - and
nothing works at all.During one of the re configuration sessions, I  did
a CTRL+ Alt+F1 and got the following text:

uninstall2: Fatal IO error 104 (connection reset by peer) on X
server:9.0.

It's not the disks, as confirmed, I've been able to load onto 2
machines, one of them an old door stop. My PC has an Intel Celeron 500
MHz processor; a 17GB Hard drive and has a PS2 wheel mouse. The
motherboard is a Soyo SY-71WM/L1.0 which is apparently Linux compatible
(confirmed on Soyo web site - though it mentions nothing of Linux that I
can see/find on the support CD) Seems to have graphics card built
integrated AGP VGA, using Intel 810 chipset. Secuirty setting has been
set at standard.

I've read that the Knoppix 3.3 Live Cd is good for hardware detection
and resolving config issues.  So I bought a copy and, even this wont
laod up.  After it loads to the boot screen, I press RETURN and get the
following lines:

You passed an undefined mode number.
Press <RETURN> to see video modes available, <SPACE> to continue or wait
30 secs

If I hit return I'm given 7  video mode options: 0-6
If I wait...minutes...nothing happens
Hitting space gives me the same as choosing an option between 0-6 which
is:

  Accessing KNOPPIX CDROM at /dev/scd0...
Total memory found: 125600 kB
Creating /ramdisk (dynamic size=96716k) on shared memory...Done
Creating directories and symlinks on ramdisk...Done.
Starting init process.
INIT: version 2.78-Knoppix booting

and then it just hangs...just as in mdk.

(Note: the HDD on Knoppix is at 1gig as a test - in a previous machine
it was able to load MDK ok - I just wanted to rule out that the 17gig
drive wasn't the problem.)

My machine is in pieces, the motherboard is supposed to be Linux
compatible (Soyo a SY-71WM/L1.0 ) and I absolutely cannot get Linux to
install.

Any idea's how I can at least use the Knoppix to troubleshoot the
hardware?  I'm having lots o late nights, I dream constantly about this
and i'm starting to go ga-ga .  Whilst I really would love  to have the
mdk I fear the worst, and my XP loving mate will be watching like a
vulture for a return to W$  :(

Is it likely to be a config issue? as a newbie I'm totally lost and
starting to feel exhausted.  Please, somebody help!

I'm beginning to thinks that I'll never get Linux on board. And I
thought that these 2 formats were the newbie favourites for an *easy
install*???