[Wylug-help] (no subject)

Gary Stainburn gary.stainburn at ringways.co.uk
Thu May 6 10:54:44 BST 2004

On Thursday 06 May 2004 9:32 am, Daniel Walker wrote:
> Phil Driscoll wrote:
> > We currently run our company (software development/consultancy, 4 people)
> > using TAS Books on Windows, however we are slowly moving over to a
> > mysql/php tool that we are developing as a background task. We are still
> > a long way from having a full replacement for TAS, but we will get there
> > in time, and are most likely to release the system under the GPL.
> >
> > It probably doesn't help you at this moment, particularly as a lot of
> > what we've currently written scratches our own itches - the quirks of our
> > business which are not handled well by a generic account package.
> > However, if you want to get involved, please get in touch.
>
> The problem with a home-brew accounts package, as I understand it from a
> similar situation at my last job, is that when you pay to have someone
> audit your books, you have to pay extra as they don't know what they're
> doing.

I think that is down to the people you have doing the audit, (as well as the
type and size of company being audited).

Providing the accounting system provides the correct reports and audit trails
the system should not matter.

We have just gone from a very mature, stable, fast, in-house system that we've
been using since 1989 (originally ICL mainframe then ported to AIX) to an
new, unstable, still-being-written, slow, web-based external system that is
completely unrecognisable and have just come out the other side of an audit
without any problems.

(not that I'm bitter or anything ;) )