[Wylug-help] VLANs and security

Rik Wade rik at rikwade.com
Wed May 12 20:58:17 BST 2004

VLAN security is perfectly adequate for the majority of applications.
As Jim has already discussed, the means of cracking VLAN security is
intrusive and actually relatively tricky in terms of the level of
access required to end stations/network devices. I'd also question the
usefulness of this type of attack to all but the most technical and
dedicated cracker. It would surely be more simple to sneak in to the
administrator's office when (s)he is on lunch and read the password
from the post-it note on the monitor ;-)

However, if you're really concerned, you could look in to Private VLAN
(PVLAN) features offered by many Cisco switches. This offers much more
secure (and complex) VLAN configuration options. Your administration
overhead and skill requirements go up accordingly, however.

Security should be layered. VLAN segregation should be one component of
those layers. It may be worth your time to put more effort in to adding
or improving other layers in the model you implement. Don't under
estimate the human component either.
--
Rik Wade